Thursday 8 October 2015

CODEINE


CODEINE 1.

my pains gone 
but 
theres residue left in me
and
my
life

is

dialled down - i am a sick-note back-stop
when 
i
take a low ride
on
the slow slide
of
warm
codeine 


CODEINE 2.

tactile but numb / alert but behind 
i
am
stretched out on knotted sheets
where
emergency put me
and
not thinking nothing / nothing at all
except
to
slowly wonder why that is - and not minding no answer 
and
getting older / it happens
happens 
right 
now
while time passes
and
as it passes 
it 
reaches out to touch my shoulder
in

peaceful reassurance
that
feels
right - not patronising
today


CODEINE 3.

soft brain bath i decide
i am having a soft brain bath / maybe waiting on the postman

hey mr postman
bring me something new . . .

and outside the sun-blur window
the
world
is
an intense jigsaw
built
of
infinite shapes


CODEINE 4.

and
the
low ride / slow slide
is
me 
staring deep
into
the 
twisting cave-like depths
of
the
lapcats ear

and 
that scream i hear
of 

distant star fighters engine
is
only
english wind
in
the
chimney

and
the roar and the white noise pounding
is
only
my own blood living
and
sat
on
cushions
in
the
margins



from sixthseal.com

2 comments:

  1. Great poem - it drew me in and kept me - on the downside I now would kill for some Codeine. Joseph Hargraves

    ReplyDelete
  2. not too easy to get here by itself, but theres over-the-counter dihydracoedine if you dont mind a bit of paracetamol strapped on. kind of special. me a bit overly sensitive to it sometimes these days.

    ReplyDelete