Saturday 10 December 2011

A RACIST SAYS

in the basement store with asbestos floor
drinking black coffee round a small table.
break time at Heartbeat Hospital
Radio 2 and J Vine
1 pm.

J Vine reminisces with a grown WW2 evacuee.

opposite me a racist laughs
tea and spit and biscuit on thin pink lips.
he says HOW WOULD IT WORK TODAY?

sounding like an interesting line of conversation
I put down my huge novel and look up at peeling brick walls.
old spider webs hang grey and greasy like old dreams.

he says THEY’LL ALL HAVE TO GO BACK TO AFRICA.
he is 73. part time. classic bigot.
white.
he thinks congestion on the roads is the fault of the Poles.

I look at peeling brick walls not his confrontational eyes.
he wants someone to argue someone to agree.
 
another racist
younger. boiled face. a woman.
white.
has a convict pen friend in a Texas jail.
his name is Randy Bumgardener.

she says IMAGINE THEM GETTING ALL THEM HOODIES OVER THERE!

mouth almost open I almost speak
but
the guy on the right is asleep arms across his chest.
the girl on the left is applying Midnight Plum nail varnish.

I take up my big book again
look down from the grey peeling walls.

2 comments: